Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Naughty and Nice, the Kickstarter Kids


Under the illusion of "In the spirit of Christmas" I thought I would put together a naughty and nice list of kickstarters I have backed.  I think I will start with the negative (naughty list) and try to end positively (nice list).  Note, for my naughty list if they have managed to deliver to me, regardless of how late, they are getting a pass but sure as hell not getting on my nice list.  So, without further ado.


Naughty List
Robotech RPG Tactics:  What do I even say...
  • Who:  Palladium Books
  • Issue:  Where the hell is Wave 2/the rest of my stuff?
  • KS Completed:  May 2013
  • Advertised Delivery:  Dec 2013
  • Last Update to Backers:  Sept 2016
  • Last Update with Useful Information:  Who the fuck knows, maybe never?
  • Longest Span without Update: 3 months
  • Salt in the Wound:  Pretty much anytime I see their product.  Or when I try to assemble their product and have 20+ pieces to put together for a 2 inch tall mech, wtf!?
Journey, Wrath of Demons:  Wish I didn't have to do this...
  • Who:  Marrow Production
  • Issue:  Where the hell is Wave 2/the rest of my stuff?
  • KS Completed:  Nov 2013
  • Advertised Delivery:  July 2014
  • Last Update to Backers:  Dec 2016 
  • Last Update with Useful Information:  Who the fuck knows.
  • Longest Span without Update:  6 months (wow, really?)
  • Salt in the Wound:  None really
  • Who:  Flying Frog Productions
  • Issue:  Where the hell is Wave 2/the rest of my stuff?
  • KS Completed:  Nov 2013
  • Advertised Delivery:  Aug 2014
  • Last Update to Backers:  Nov 2016
  • Last Update with Useful Information:  Nov 2016
  • Longest Span without Update:  3 months
  • Salt in the Wound:  A new Kickstater, really!?
Alien vs Predator, The Miniatures Game:  Words can't describe...
  • Who:  Prodos Games
  • Issue:  Where the hell is any of my stuff!?  At least everyone else on the naughty list has gotten me something...
  • KS Completed:   Late 2013
  • Advertised Delivery:  May 2014
  • Last Update to Backers:  Oct 2016
  • Last Update with Useful Information:  Pretty much never.
  • Longest Span without Update:  Un-calculable but I would bet on at least 6 months
  • Salt in the Wound:  Sending me emails with a discount on this very product.  Seeing this very product in retail.  Seeing/hearing the name/word "Prodos."  The fact that I can't buy (their) Sci-Fi Samurai because of this BS.
As 3 of those 4 kickstarter issues are "Where the hell is Wave 2/the rest of my stuff?" it is important to be clear that I believe in all of those kickstarters above (and the case with most kickstarters) they were not clear about what is Wave 1 vs later, in their kickstarter campaigns.  In fact, I believe most companies only figure this out months (years in some cases) later and "implement" waves trying to save face.

As I mentioned, there are several others that really deserve to be on this list but have been given a pass because they did eventually complete the fulfillment.  A couple of those really deserve to be on this naughty list regardless but I will get even more negative if I expand further.

Moving on...


Nice List
Happy Seppuku:  All of their KS that I have backed have been reasonably on time or just slightly late.  All exactly as expected.  

Albino Dragon:  I've got a soft spot for themed decks of playing cards and these guys always come through in quality and delivery dates.

Roadkill:  As I recall, pretty much exactly on time and as expected.  Great job.  

End of the Line:  As mentioned in an earlier blog post, a couple of months early!  WTF!?  Great job!

Relicblade:  Again, pretty much on time as I recall.  Good job.  Hope the same for the expansion.

This Is Not a Test:  Also pretty much on time as I recall.  Good job.

Hero Realms:  Maybe premature for them to make the nice list (Wave 2 is still pending it's planned ship date) but they pretty much nailed their promised Wave 1 ship date.  So given all my pessimism, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Hobby Transporter:  I only backed the leaf punches but they were on time!

And that wraps up the Nice list.  I know there is a bit of a disparity between the companies in each of those groups.  One camp are the "big boys" that had huge successful kickstarters.  In the other, more mom-and-pop type companies that weren't as huge.  I realize there is a (bit of) dis-economy of scale effect between those two categorizes.  That being said, isn't dis-economy of scale the result of poor management/planning/execution?  And even if you don't think it is, they (naughty list) stepped up to the plate saying they were going to do X by Y.  Implicitly they said they would handle this dis-economy of scale.

Part of the disparity is also just my backing behavior changing.  I've begun to lean toward the mom-and-pop kind of kickstarters.  For a number of typical reasons that are not worth rehashing, but also because their products usually don't end up in retail, and/or in retail before KS fulfillment and/or in retail for less than KS prices.  Also because most of the big ones end up being stillborn/DOA.  Either because their delay caused so much strife with the community or simply because the hobby world has moved on.  I still succumb to the big ones every now and again though.

Anyway, I thought this post would turn out a little different than it did.  I thought it would be fun and I  could put a fun twist on it.  That kind of faded as I got into it and reopened old wounds.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment