Anyway, in case I need to refer back to it in the future (doubtful):
- RMS Templar Blue (2 figs)
- Vallejo Dark Rubber (2 figs)
- Vallejo Light Rubber (2 figs)
- RMS Aged Bone (for white rats)
- RMS Dark Skin (for brown rats)
- RMS Aged Bone + RMS Carnage Red (for white rats)
- RMS Tanned Skin (for brown rats)
- Backpack: RMS Uniform Brown*
- Armor: Dave Taylor's Polished Steel Recipe*
- Leather: RMS Earth Brown
- Crossbow: RMS Rich Leather
- Eyes/Arrow Feather: RMS Carnage Red
- Teeth/Claws: RMS Faded Khaki
- Arrow Shaft: RMS Earth Brown
- Bones: RMS Aged Bone
- Pants: None
- Fur: Worked up to
- RMS Polished Bone (for white rats)
- RMS Dark Skin + RMS Aged Bone* (for brown rats)
- Skin/Flesh: None
- Backpack: Several washes of RMS Green Ochre*
- Armor: Dave Taylor's Polished Steel Recipe
- Leather: Worked up to RMS Leather Brown
- Crossbow: RMS Polished Brown
- Eyes/Arrow Feather: None
- Teeth/Claws: None
- Arrow Shaft: None
- Bones: RMS Polished Bone
- All: Thinned AP Strong Tone Wash, several controlled applications
It was a conscious decision to skip a lot of highlighting in certain areas and a bit of a test to see how that would turn out. The lower parts of the body and small details, for what I was trying to achieve (passable tabletop), just did not seem worth the time investment. Similarly, I also wanted to see how the AP Strong Tone wash would turn out and if I would be happy with "cutting that corner." I think the results are "ok." I do wish they had turned out a little better and I am still not happy with how long it took to get them done. I of course will try again on the next batch (Tail Feather mousling foot troops). My daughter though is very happy with how they turned out and the purpose of painting these up are to play with her, so I guess that is a big win!
Overall I think, as usual, I did not get enough contrast in the models and failed to push my highlights and shadows far enough. I do think in a couple of areas I pushed further than I have in the past, so maybe there is hope for me in that regard. lol
Anyway, I need to jump on the next batch. Well, after a short (I hope) distraction.
- Backpack: The RMS Uniform Brown I used for the backpack totally failed me. For some reason when the paint dried it was severally cracked. Since I figured it was the paint going bad, I had to step "over" to using RMS Green Ochre, applying several thinned applications to "hide" the cracking. This caused an overall color shift that left me a little unsatisfied but not unhappy enough to do anything about it.
- Armor: Dave Taylor's Polished Steel recipe was a bit of a mistake, I actually intended for a darker, grittier looking armor but for some reason used this recipe instead of his Dark Iron recipe. I tried a few extra applications of AP Strong Tone to "shift" it in that direction but ultimately just decided to roll with it as you see.
- Fur (brown rats); RMS Dark Highlight produced no perceivable gradient shift from the RMS Dark Skin basecoat, so I tried adding in RMS Aged Bone. It didn't really seem to work out all that great (or I did not push the contrast far enough). A suggestion was to use a more "flesh" color than the aged bone, so I will try that next time I am in this situation.
- Varnishing: The picture above is un-varnished. Since it was taken, I have hit the models with a gloss coat to prepare for the basing and maybe just a bit of weathering. This has really washed out any highlighting/shading on the them. I know when I apply the dull coat they should "come back" but I'm holding my breath until then.