Tuesday, November 7, 2017

October Recap

Well, it was not a very productive month for managing to get games played.  The family vacation to Disney world caused me to miss the first game day of October, while the threat of having to play Frostgrave kept me from going to the second one.  Now the local group is all spun up for Ghost Archipelago, so this trend will likely continue.  I need to set down and really digest the rules for GA and try to give it a fair shake.  And stay away from 4+ person games of it...

While things were light on that front, I did manage to get a few random games of misc stuff in with my daughter so that was good.  I also painted up 3 test models for my K47 British Infantry and was fairly happy with how they turned out and the time invested.  I then I jumped in on batch painting another 12.  Ugh...  Anyway, I will post something up for the test models soon(ish).

October was also a very expensive hobby month.  I pre-ordered several things, including the Fallout miniatures game!  Along with also buying into FFG's new version of Legend of the Five Rings.  Unfortunately, I have not really gotten to try it out.  I played one turn with my wife (we both used to play L5R back in the day) before she opted to go to bed.  Not because of anything game related, because we have a 1 year old...  I also backed my first kickstarter of the year.  Yep, that is right I made it all the way to October before surrendering to the newest expansion of Relicblade.  I have backed the other Relicblade kickstarters at just the rules level (the same for this recent one) and while I have never played it, I do like what the guy is doing and his lovely art.  I had no problem continuing to throw a few bucks his way.

November will see the opening of an all new game store in Huntsville:  Lucky Dice Cafe (actually, it has already had its soft opening).  It is on my side of town and is a fairly short drive.  Hopefully it will turn out to be a good store and allow me to find some game time during the week and/or the weekends, opposite the regular game days.  We will see.

The end of the year is fast approaching.  Lots of projects to wrap up and trying to satisfy some hobby goals. 


2 comments:

  1. I received my copy of Relicblade core rules. I'm really digging it! Coincidentally, I received my copy of Company of Iron on the same day. And, boy, what a night and day comparison! I'm going to write up my impressions of the two of them on my blog.

    We oughta try out Relicblade. The only downside is that we'll need to make up our own profile cards and hope that they turn out balanced....

    I visited their forum to see if they have support for developing your own profiles. They have some Photoshop templates for the cards, but there's no points calculator/algorithm, nor are there generic profiles. Looks like we would need to throw some spaghetti on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was wondering if you had gotten Company of Iron yet. I got mine Friday and had been thinking of posting a review of the rules but there is a major problem with that idea: I'd have to be able to read the fucking rules to do so...

      We can definitely give Relicblade a go. I always figured I would just map figs to the existing profile cards but we could try our own development too.

      Delete